Position Available
Catalog
 

History of the Library

The idea for a library in Holley began in 1945. Some of the founding members were the Reverend Benjamin Klauser and Joseph Friedo. In May of 1946, there was a meeting at the Holley High School to discuss the formation of a library.

From the very beginning, the library was a community effort. The local Rotary Club sponsored a magic show to raise money. The American Legion offered a room in its building for the library. Mrs. Mildred Smith was appointed the first librarian in July. Many people donated books, shelves, and their time. The official opening was held on February 22, 1947. The library has moved three times since it opened. In August of 1961, it was moved to 4 Thomas Street. In this move, as well as in subsequent ones, community volunteers made this possible. In September of 1965, the library moved to 82 Public Square. In April of 1969, the library moved to its present location at 86 Public Square. There have been several librarians since its opening day. Mildred Smith was the first (7/46- 7/57), followed by Pauline Kemp (7/57 – 10/60); Eleanor Ludington (10/60 – 4/67); Bernice Buelte (4/67 – 5/90); June Roeck (Children’s Librarian 1980 – 1990); Margaret Moran (5/90 – 12/92); Marcia McCarthy (12/92 – 12/98); Karen Rosolowski (12/98 – 08/01); and Claire Franek (8/01 – 7/05).

Sandra Shaw became the library director in September of 2005.

The library has seen many changes down through the years. One major change occurred in August of 2001. The library went online with an automated circulation system. Access to the Internet and other online databases are now available. One thing hasn’t changed – our commitment to provide the very best possible service to our patrons. We welcome you to come in and “check us out @your library”.

Home | Board of Trustees/Staff | Library History | Mission Statement
Inside the Library | Programs & Services
Message from the Director | Report to the Community
Local Links | Contact Us

COMMUNITY FREE LIBRARY
86 Public Square
Holley, NY
(585) 638-6987
FAX: (585) 638-7436

A Member of the NIOGA Library System

Site by ScenicView Web Company ©2009